Cancer is a family of more than 400 different types of diseases, each with its own symptoms, mortality and rate of growth. Cancer can occur at any age, though they become more common with advancing age. A common feature of all cancers is the uncontrolled growth and spread of abnormal cells. Viruses, unhealthy dietary habits, smoking, tobacco consumption, alcoholism, obesity, hormonal factors, exposure to smoke and harmful chemicals are proven factors that cause cancer.
Cancer is also one of the treatable chronic diseases. It is treated with Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy, Surgery, Radiation and other therapies. Most form of cancers can be cured and the survival rate will be high if detected early and treated appropriately. Cured patients have the same life expectancy as people who never had cancer.
What is a Comprehensive Cancer Centre?
A comprehensive centre is one which can provide all types of diagnostic facilities and multi-disciplinary approach in the management of various forms of cancers at all stages. It also provides services such as prevention, screening and diagnosis at one centre.
It is fully equipped with state-of-the-art facilities and has support from various allied specialties.
Manipal SEAROC Comprehensive Cancer Centre is a centre of excellence for cancer care since 20 years and adopts a multi-disciplinary team approach. It hosts full-fledged departments of Surgical Oncology, Radiation Oncology, Medical Oncology and Clinical Haematology, all co-existing with the entire gamut of super-specialties such as Neurosurgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Urology, Maxillofacial Surgery, Histopathology, Nuclear Medicine, Immunology, Transfusion Service and state-of-the-art Intensive Care Unit. In addition, this centre also offers Palliative Care and Preventive Oncology services. In short, the Manipal SEAROC Comprehensive Cancer Centre is a one-stop solution, which provides comprehensive cancer care.
Special Features of Manipal SEAROC Comprehensive Cancer Centre:
- Multi-disciplinary Tumour Board
- Protocol-based treatment
- Quaternary care hospital
- A team of multi-specialists
- Affiliations with University of Minnesota Physicians
- Palliative care in advanced cancers such as cancer pain relief, nutritional support, procedures to relieve jaundice, intestinal obstruction, etc.
- Preventive care includes various screening procedures for early detection of cancers as well as organising lectures and interactive sessions to educate the public on cancer prevention
Areas of Expertise
- Medical Oncology
- Surgical Oncology
- Radiation Oncology
- Clinical Haematology
Manipal SEAROC Comprehensive Cancer Centre offers the following:
Manipal SEAROC Comprehensive Cancer Centre is recognised as one of the principle cancer centres for Radio Guided Surgery in the state. The centre has a highly specialised and qualified team of cancer surgeons who believe in optimum tumour control with maximum preservation of tissues and its function, thereby boosting the confidence and improving the quality of life.
Multi-disciplinary Tumour Board meetings are held regularly where difficult cases are discussed among all the Oncologists and other related specialists to arrive at the best possible treatment options for the patient.
As a part of this approach, we offer:
- Voice Preservation Surgery
- Breast Conservation and Reconstruction
- Limb Conservation
- Complex Reconstructive Surgeries and Micro-vascular Flap Reconstruction
- Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy (SLNB)
- Radio guided Occult Lesion Localisation (ROLL) for non-palpable Breast Lesions
- Skull Base Surgeries
- Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroid Surgery
- Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Chemoport Insertions (Vascular/lntraperitoneal)
This team based multi-speciality approach and philosophy has improved the quality of life following successful cancer treatment.
- Vascular Access: For long term vascular access in patients needing Chemotherapy, Bone Marrow Transplant or Nutritional Support (TPN), Chemoports/ Hickmann Catheters are inserted.
- Intraperitoneal (IP) Chemotherapy Port
The medical oncology team provides treatment with chemotherapy, biological therapy, immunotherapy and hormonal therapy for various cancers. These not only have a very important role to play in curing early stage cancers, but are also important in advanced cancers for improving the duration of survival with a good quality of life.
Chemotherapy Systemic therapy in the form of Cytotoxic (anti-cancer drugs) forms an important sub-division of cancer treatment. In the recent years, Chemotherapy has made spectacular progress by developing newer drugs and protocols that have enhanced anti-tumour activity while remaining patient- friendly. It has also enabled cure to many childhood solid tumours, testicular and ovarian cancers, breast cancer, colon cancer and hitherto, fatal bone tumours. Chemotherapy is the only modality used to cure haematologic malignancies such as Leukaemia, Lymphomas.
Biologic Therapy In the recent years, there are many new targeted therapies that have improved results in the treatment of cancers. These new medicines are called Biological Therapies that act predominantly on cancer cells and have minimal side effects. They have significantly improved cure and survival in patients of lymphomas, breast cancer, colon and rectal cancers and head and neck tumours.
Manipal Hospital is one of the few centres in India that provides Clinical Haematology services. Clinical Haematology unit at Manipal SEAROC Comprehensive Cancer Centre deals with blood disorders. Haematological diseases include Anaemia, Bone Marrow Failure, Clotting and Bleeding Disorders such as Thrombocytopenia including ITP, Haemophilia, other coagulation disorders and Arterial and Venous Thrombosis. It also deals with malignant diseases (Blood Cancers) like Leukaemia, Lymphoma and Multiple Myeloma.
The Manipal SEAROC Comprehensive Cancer Centre’s Radiation Oncology wing consists of a highly qualified and experienced team of Radiation Oncologists, Medical Physicists and Technologists, backed by new generation, state-of-the-art equipment capable of delivering precise doses of radiation accurately to the tumour with minimum damage to normal tissues. The department is one of the leading centres in the field of Brachytherapy in the country and is amongst very few offering this therapy for prostate cancer patients. This centre offers Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT), a special kind of treatment, which focuses radiation to the tumour area while pushing it away from the normal tissues, thus minimising side effects. This department also offers some unique therapies like fiducial marker based Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) and Adaptive Radiation Therapy (ART) mainly for prostate cancer patients. Very few centres in this country currently offer these extremely accurate and targeted types of radiation therapies. The department presently is equipped with:
- Precise Digital Linear Accelerator: A state-of-the-art dual energy Linear Accelerator with IMRT capability. It is equipped with a Multi-Leaf Collimator (MLC) and an Electronic Portal Imaging Device (EPID), both of which ensure precision of treatment.
- Simulator (ACUITY) helps to localise the tumour precisely, thus facilitating accurate radiation therapy.
- CT Simulator: Dedicated CT simulator for radiotherapy planning.
- ONCENTRA Master Plan is the first, one of its kind in the country. It uses a unique algorithm to plan IMRT treatment with great precision.
- TiGRT Planning System has the potential to plan complex radiation treatment more expeditiously and accurately than traditional systems.
- IBt BEBIG Brachytherapy: A remote controlled high dose rate (HDR) Brachytherapy system, which ensures that radiation treatments are delivered in a very short time with no radiation hazard to staff. The image-based 3 dimensional conformal Brachytherapy Planning System (Brachyvision) helps achieve maximum radiation dose within the tumour volume without harming the normal tissues.
Allied Specialists Supporting Oncology
1. Endoscopy: Upper Gl (Oesophago Gastro Duodenoscopy, ERCP), lower Gl (Colonoscopy)
2. EUS (Endoscopic Ultrasound): Endoscope equipped with an ultrasound probe to assess the tumours in hollow organs and guides biopsy
3. Endoluminal Stenting: To relieve obstruction in hollow organs (intestine, bile duct, etc) when surgery is not advisable
4. ABC (Argon Laser Beam Coagulator)
- Dental: Dental Implants and Prosthodontics (Prosthesis) Rehabilitation for patients undergoing excision of mandible/maxilla
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery: Various plastic surgery reconstructive procedures including complex flaps and free tissue transfers (micro-vascular flaps) and breast reconstruction are routinely performed with excellent results
- Neurosurgery: For skull base and craniofacial surgeries
- Lab Medicine: Various lab functions help in Oncology mainly Biochemistry, Microbiology, Histopathology with IHC and tumour markers
- Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology
The Department of Radiology plays an important role in diagnosing and staging all types of malignancies. Imaging guided biopsies of lung, liver, thyroid, bone, breast and lymph nodes as well as image guided aspiration of abdominal or chest cavity fluid is often vital to the diagnosis. TACE (Trans Arterial Chemo Embolisation) or instillation of YTTRIUM into advanced liver cancers can prolong survival. In malignancies of liver or biliary tree stents are placed in order to reduce jaundice. Radio-frequency ablation helps cure small cancers of the liver, kidney, bone etc. without surgery. Stereo-tactic Biopsy uses special equipment to biopsy early breast cancer, which can be seen only on Mammography. ROLL (Radio guided Occult Lesion Localisation) is a special technique which helps surgeons excise very early breast cancers. Manipal SEAROC Comprehensive Cancer Centre is the only institution employing this technique in India.
- Transfusion Services for Oncology
Oncology patients constitute a large chunk of blood users at Manipal Hospital. The Blood Bank provides round-the-clock blood components including apheresis components and has facilities for providing irradiated and filtered blood necessary for cancer patients. The transfusion service working hand in hand with the BMT team does the peripheral stem cell collection using Cobe spectra and employs controlled rate deep freezing of autologous stem cells for later use. The immune haematology laboratory is one of its kinds in the country with facilities for red cell antibody screening and identification by gel technology. The Blood Transfusion Centre attached to the blood bank provides subsidised transfusions to cancer patients on a day care basis, without the hassle of them searching for blood donors. In terms of blood safety, Manipal Hospital Transfusion Services is the only blood bank in the state screening donated blood by Minipool Nucleic Acid testing for HIV, Hepatitis B and C in addition to the conventional ELISA test.
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
This Centre closely works with Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, which has a fully-fledged team to provide rehabilitation programmes for patients with cancer. The scope of this programme includes evaluation of the patient’s rehabilitation potential, education of the patient, family, caregiver and healthcare providers in cancer rehabilitation and therapy to the patient in developing sound, coping and functional skills. The Rehabilitation Programme caters to cancer patients with the following problems:
- Chronic and acute pain
- Impaired mobility (deconditioning, weakness or loss of flexibility)
- Joint contracture and stiffness of muscles
- Decreased ability t
- perform activities of daily living (ADL)
- Respiratory compliance
- Safety/cognitive concerns (evaluation of assistive devices and adaptive equipment)
- Nutritional concerns (for example, skin integrity)
- Bladder and bowel dysfunction
- Psychosocial difficulties (for example, depression, loss and grief)
- Spinal and brain injuries secondary to cancer
- Other Specialties
Exceptional Continuity of Care
Since our treatment programmes are hospital centered, we provide excellent continuity of care from the Inpatient to the Outpatient setting. We maintain consistent communication with your physicians or other healthcare providers through verbal or written reports, meeting patient needs throughout the course of rehabilitation. Our expanded and enhanced facility enables patients to arrange appointments to suit their busy schedules.
To learn how you or someone you know can benefit from an unmatched level of expertise and quality performance, get in touch with our Patient Care Coordinators for assistance